Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ode to the breast pump

Sorry if the title makes any of the male readers uncomfortable. Feel free to skip this entry - you've been warned.

Since I started back to work after having Dane I have had to pump 2-3 times a day. I wanted to breast feed as long as possible so with that meant pumping for that whole time. While i've loved breastfeeding, I HATE pumping. Maybe it's because I feel like cow or because it's not natural to hook your breasts up to a machine. And then to haul your pump down the halls at work and have people make comments cause they know exactly where I'm going and what I'll be doing while locked in a closet. Oh how I'm glad those days will be over.

Not many of my friends have been working moms so I don't know if they fully appreciate the pumping process and fitting it in where possible. While it might not seem sanitary, here is just a sample of some places I've had to do the deed to make sure either my baby was fed or i wasn't in complete pain. Don't judge! You don't know...

1. Orlando FL - catalog conference (oversized handicap stall bathroom)
2. Reno NV - conference bathroom
3. Lake Tahoe - lake cruise
4. Denver, Co - on a press check for work (bathroom)
5. airport bathrooms
6. driving (i know not safe but I had one hand free)
7. closet at work a.k.a napatui
8. mall parking lot

I started Dane on cow's milk this week so tomorrow is the first day in almost 12 months that I won't hook myself up to that loathed machine and hear the hmmm that I so passionately detest. Yippee!!!

5 comments:

Phillip and Mary said...

I am so impressed with women who actually pump for a year! WOW! I recently had a friend who had to pump a lot tell me that instead of the baby crying sound making her let down, that the pump hmmm sound made her let down! HA! I'm sure you relate! Sure think you're awesome and miss you a ton!

Kristin said...

Take antihistemines constently and wear a tight sports bra until you are dried up. The meds help dry you up. At least thats what they told me in the hospitle.

Rachel said...

I have to completely agree. My sister-in-law chose to pump for a year instead of breast-feeding even though she didn't work, go figure. I am so happy to have my body back after the first year so I can only imagine being freed from a machine that isn't even your child. Congrats and good job Mieka!

Team Clark said...

Mieka - that is hilarious. I can't believe you've done it driving! How is that even possible?
I hate pumping, too, but I have never had to do it as much as you - way to go.
I'm excited for you to be able to put it all behind you! Well, for now, at least!

Leah said...

Yup, I've pumped with both of my kids, and I have had a few co-workers "moo", rude, but that's how I feel!